Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Upgrades

I was completing my profile on linked-in and it asked for my blog link. That made me remember that I have not posted in quite a while. So here we go...

So far this year at work has been about getting the software ready to move to a new hosting facility. We were originally going to go to a zLinux (mainframe) platform, but after running lots of tests and checking ROI, we decided to can that project. If they had listened to me it would have been canned a month earlier.

Of course it was canned the day after my boss left for China, not to be heard from for a month. Also his boss went into labor way earlier a few days after that, leaving me to report directly to the CTO for the better part of a month. I say they owe me!!!

So now we have this new platform and I ported everything over and did tons of version and module upgrades and tested it, only to have Internet Explorer fail. I am hoping it is because the times on the machines differ. Requests go through a load balancer, an apache 2.x proxy then to a back end apache 1.3/mod_perl/Mason back end.

On the home front, the pool needs a new liner, which should be delivered any day. My daughter toiok second in sectionals last weekend and my son's baseball team is tied for first. His basketball team took first this past season. Amazing for a kid who has a lot of my genes.

I guess the biggest news is on the weight front. I am down 42 lbs since the beginning of the year and going to the gym 3x per week. It feels good to be getting back in shape. It has been well over a decade since I was in any kind of shape, except round. My bicycle has been fixed up and I am riding that once a week as well. That will likely increase as we get into summer, but I really can't wait for the pool to be fixed so I may swim before work.

So I sit here, waiting for the networking group to sync my server and hoping for a release of the new iPhone shortly. Nothing more to report. We are going to a benefit concert this weekend as a guest of The Smithereens and have a BBQ on Sunday. I'm hoping to get to do the Ringo thing again this summer. :-D

No comments: